Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Virtually GOOD People Moving On

Folks:

School board members bow out
Of The Daily Oakland Press

When Pontiac voters receive their ballots for the May 3 school board election, they will quickly notice that there are no incumbents.

Neither school board secretary Eirther Shelmonson-Bey nor trustee Sandy-Michael McDonald, whose terms are about to expire, will seek to be re-elected.

Citing a desire to spend more time with her family and the desire to achieve personal goals, Shelmonson-Bey, one of the more outspoken members of the board, said her time as a trustee is coming to an end.

"I've made a contribution," said Shelmonson-Bey, who has served a total of 11 years on the school board. "It's just basically time for me to move on. I have grandchildren and a family. I want to spend more time with my family and more time on me."

Shelmonson-Bey served eight years as a school board member, from 1993 to 2001, and was again voted in as a trustee by her peers three years ago after The Rev. Archibald Mosely resigned his position a year into his term. Shelmonson-Bey ran unopposed in a 2003 election for the remaining two years of the term.

"She's been an officer seven or eight times. That's a big loss," said School Board President Richard Seay. "When you have someone with that kind of experience in dealing with school district issues, she'll be missed."

McDonald, who is also director of Pontiac's Downtown Development Authority, said he plans to still remain an advocate for the children and the school district.

"I'm comfortable with my contribution (to the school district)," McDonald said. "I'll be a stronger advocate on behalf of the community and the district than maybe I was perceived to be as a trustee."

McDonald and Shelmonson-Bey's decision not to run for re-election opens the door for nine possible candidates who will seek to replace them.

The official candidate list includes: Steve Alvarado, Alma Bradley, Jack L. Bressler, Damon O. Dorkins, Beverly A. Garrison, Tommaleta Hughes, Cynthia Berrios Officer, Herman Proby and Donald W. Watkins.

"I don't particularly have a favorite," Seay said. "We met, as we do annually, with all of the candidates, and every one of them impressed me with their commitment to children.

"I don't think there are any yes men or yes women in the group. Whoever they are, they have some awful large shoes to fill."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home